5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
½ cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup water
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces
1 ½ cups sugar
⅓ cup water
1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8″ x 8″ pan.
2) In a large bowl for the filling, toss the apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water. Spread the apples evenly in the bottom of the pan.
3) In another bowl for the crumble, mix together flour, brown sugar, oats, and butter. Spoon mixture evenly over apples.
4) For the caramel sauce, mix the water and sugar in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a medium brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful that sauce doesn’t burn. Slowly add the cream and vanilla extract to the saucepan. Simmer and continue to stir until the sauce is thick, about 2 minutes.
5) Drizzle the sauce over the top of the apples and crumble.
6) Bake for 45 minutes.