|About Us||Holy Land Sites||Photos||Holy Land Tours||Christian||Community||Travel Tips||Christmas in Bethlehem|
Christmas in Bethlehem
Travelujah_ / Masses / Easter in Jerusalem 2014
Easter in Jerusalem 2014
On Easter and the preceding Holy Week, Jerusalem usually fills with visitors from all parts of the world. Pilgrims flock to the Holy City to commemorate the important events from the last days of Christ’s life.
The main celebrations will take place in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, built over the place of Jesus’ crucifixion, burial and resurrection. However, other churches and shrines will also hold religious services honoring various happenings from last moments of Christ’s terrestial life.
This year 2014, according to western and eastern Eucharistic calendars, Easter will be celebrated by both Catholic and Orthodox Christians on 20th of April. Moreover, this time will coincide with Jewish holiday of Passover, which will begin on the evening of 14th of April and end on the evening of the 22nd of April. This cover up of the dates will probably increase the number of visitors to Jerusalem at once, but will also make this time more interesting and meaningful for all.
The best way to have an unforgettable spiritual experience in the Holy Land is to commemorate the Easter happenings with the local Christian community. Have a look at the following list of masses and events for that period of the year.
Travelujah is a leading faith-based social network that could be also your space to share your Holy Land tour and travel experiences with others. If you would like to do that, simply contact us on: email@example.com
List of the Holy Masses:
- Commemoration of the Flagellation of the Lord in the Church of the Flagellation in Jerusalem at 17:00
- Resurrection of Lazarus, celebrated in Bethany (El-Azariya) at the Tomb of Lazarus at 6:30 with a Holy mass in the Church of St. Lazarus at 7:30, that will be followed with a solemn mass and spiritual pilgrimage to the Ascension Shrine on the Mt. of Olives and to the Church of the Pater Noster.
- Mass at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre at 16:00
- Mass for the Fifth Sunday of Lent at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre at 6:30
- Commemoration of the Way of the Cross at Lithostrotos (Ecce Homo Convent) at 17:00
- Friday of Seven Sorrows at the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre at 9:00
- Solemn mass on Calvary at 17:00 with a daily procession
- Commemoration of the Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem at the Church of Betfage at 9:00
- Eve of the Palm Sunday: Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre - 8 am; Solemn mass - 14:30; Solemn entry of the Latin Patriarch, H.B. Fuad Twal and procession at 00:40; Vigil in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament presided by Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Custod of the Holy Land
13/04/2014 (Palm Sunday)
- Procession with Palm branches and pontifical mass at the Mary Magdalene Altar in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre at 7:00
- Palm Sunday procession on the Mount of Olives at 14:30
14/04/2014 (Holy Monday)
- Via Dolorosa - V Station - Holy Masses in different languages from 6:00 till 8:00
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Holy mass in Arabic on Calvary at 7:00; Solemn mass in the Holy Tomb at 8 am; Daily procession at 17:00
15/04/2014 (Holy Tuesday)
- Solemn mass with singing of the Passion of Christ at the Church of the Flagellation at 8:00
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Solemn mass with singing of the Passion of Christ at 8:00; Daily procession at 17:00
16/04/2014 (Holy Wednesday)
- Solemn mass with singing of the Passion of Christ at Gethsemane in Basilica of the Agony at 8:00
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Solemn mass with singing of the Passion of Christ and daily procession at 8 am; Exposition and veneration of the Column in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament throuout the day from 10:00; Tenebrae Service at 16:00
17/04/2014 (Holy Thursday)
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Entry of the Latin Patriarch, H.B. Fuad Twal, pontifical mass with the Washing of the Feet and procession with the Blessed Sacramant Notes at 8:00; Soon after the service (approx. 12:00) the doors of the Basilica will be closed - no exit or entrance; Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and service at 14:45 - The doors open and close shortly afterwards. After the service (approx. 18:00) the Basilica remains closed for the rest of the day.
- Mount Zion - Last Supper Room: Spiritual pilgrimage to the Cenacle, Washing of the Feet, and to the Churches of St. James and St. Mark with a departure from St. Savior's Monastery at 15:10;
- Gethsemane - Basilica of the Agony: Holy Hour presided by Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Custos of the Holy Land at 21:00 (Note: 21:30 – 00:00 private prayer in silence)
18/04/2014 (Good Friday)
- Celebration of the Passion of Christ on Calvary in Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher at 7:15
- Procession of the Way of the Cross, starting at 12:15
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Service at 16:00; "Funeral" Procession at 20:15
19/04/2014 (Holy Saturday)
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Easter Vigil at 6:30; Evening Prayer in front of the Edicule at 18:00; Pontifical celebration of the Liturgy of the Hoursat the Altar of Mary Magdalene, presided by the Custod of the Holy Land at 23:30
20/04/2014 (Easter Sunday)
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Entry of the Latin Patriarch, H.B. Fuad Twal at 10:00; Pontifical mass and procession at 10:30; Daily Procession at 17:00
21/04/2014 (Easter Monday)
- Franciscan Shrine of Emmaus - Qubeibeh: Solemn mass presided by Fr. Piebattista Pizzaballa, Custos of the Holy Land at 10:00; Evening Prayer and Solemn Eucharistic Exposition at 14:30
- Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre: Solemn mass at 8:00; Daily procession at 17:00
- There are no comments yet